It's the struggle of moms everywhere, whether you're at home with your children or working outside the home; whether you're cooking for just yourself or for the family. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to make good, homemade food. I get it. Life is CRAZY. As a RI children's photographer, I often struggle with time, too, and good, healthy food can get left in the dust.
Fortunately, it doesn't always have to be this way. There are quite a few yummy recipes out there that are easy to make, and today I'm going to share one with you: a super easy, one-serving lasagna that's pasta-free (so if you're gluten free or just looking to cut out pasta, this is for you!). You can make several of these ahead of time and cook when you need them: at work, quick lunches for the kids, or a quick lunch for you. It's become my favorite lunch and I think you'll like it, too! Ready for the recipe? Read on!
THINGS YOU'LL NEED:
- A mug, ramekin, or small bowl
- Zucchini (you'll need 75g, or about 2.7 oz. It's best to use a food scale because zucchinis vary so widely in size, but if your zucchini is a small one, it's about 1/3 zucchini).
- Mozzarella cheese, 3 oz (I like to use fresh, but use whatever you prefer).
- Ricotta cheese, 2 tablespoons
- Pasta sauce, 3 tablespoons (I'm a sucker for Rao's, but use what you like)
- Optional: herbs such as oregano or basil
- Cut the zucchini up into very thin slices. A mandoline is nice, but if you don't have one, just use a good, sharp knife.
- Now it's time to start layering! Start by adding 1 tablespoon of the sauce to the bottom of the bowl. Cover with slices of zucchini. Add and spread 1 tablespoon of ricotta cheese, then add and spread 1 tablespoon of sauce. Add another layer of zucchini, then add and spread another 1 tablespoon of the ricotta on top. Add the final layer of zucchini, then top with the last tablespoon of the sauce. Put your mozzarella cheese on top, and sprinkle with herbs if you wish to add them.
It will look like this:
Now, put your mug or bowl of lasagna into the microwave. Depending on how strong your microwave is, it should take about 2 1/2 to 4 minutes to cook. When it's done, the cheese on top will be melted, and the sauce will be a little bubbly.
Carefully remove from the microwave, taking care if your dish is hot. Let your lasagna cool for three to four minutes, then enjoy! Bon appetit!